Pupil Progress Guaranteed. Introducing Love to Read, Supply Desk’s new reading intervention programme proven to double the rate of progress in struggling learners.
Love to Read was developed to work in partnership with schools to overcome literacy difficulties that affect the life chances of children, young people and adults. The programme has helped to more than double the progress of typically developing learners, boosting reading ages by 2 years over the course of just 10 weeks. Love to Read uses a book-based approach to support learners in their reading, enabling them to activate both dimensions of reading – word recognition processes (including phonics) and language comprehension processes.
How does the Love to Read programme work?
- Designed for Primary and Secondary pupils aged 6-15
- Typically, involves 20-minute sessions, twice a week
- Delivered by teaching assistants and teachers who have been Love to Read trained (bespoke training – provided by Creative Education).
- Creates a structured one-to-one intervention for learners who find reading difficult.
- Enables struggling readers to achieve more than double the progress of typically developing readers.
SATs Results 2018
We measured the progress of Love to Read pupils from our three pilot West Yorkshire schools, taking predicted levels before the 10 week course and comparing them with SATs results.
- 100% of pupils made progress
- 93% made ‘expected progress’ or above
- 40% achieved ‘greater depth’
What are the benefits of Love to Read for learners?
The Love to Read programme has impact beyond reading. After receiving the intervention, learners:
- Became more self-confident and motivated in class
- Felt more confident to write independently
- Displayed a much improved attitude towards English
- Displayed a much improved attitude to other subjects in the curriculum
What is the impact of Love to Read for schools?
Love to Read comes with a Pupil Progress Guarantee to accelerate progress, helping schools to:
- Increase capacity to narrow the attainment gap in literacy
- Raise pupil confidence & attainment in reading, allowing pupils to access the full curriculum
- Provide individual and intensive tuition to pupils who need additional support with reading
- Report improvement in behaviour, attendance and outcomes for disadvantaged pupils alongside improved reading age
“A wide range of impact has already been seen with the reading intervention project. Some children have had huge leaps with reading ages going up by 2 years in the space of a term.” Sam Vickers, Headteacher, Upper Batley High School
“The confidence levels are through the roof! The kids have been showing accelerated progress, what everyone wants to see – closing the gap!” Chris Dyson, Headteacher, Parklands Primary School
Find out more
Supply Desk is committed to providing effective, evidence-based support for children, young learners and adults that can have a positive effect on their life chances. Love to Read programmes can be designed on a bespoke basis, to suit individual school needs. Contact us using the form below for more information on how the programme can boost pupil progress in your school.
“When Supply Desk offered us the Love to Read programme, I grabbed the opportunity straight away. To have someone dedicated to reading is something that ordinarily you wouldn’t have. I’ve got a lot more children involved and enjoying reading. We’ve had other pupils saying, “Can I be part of the reading project?” Hilary Towers-Islam, Headteacher, Field Lane J, I, N School
Interested in becoming a Love to Read tutor?
Whether you are an existing Teaching Assistant or not, click here for more information on our bespoke Love to Read training.